Wednesday, August 19, 2009


How to remove usb virus

Virus on USB DriveI was faced with the problem of how to remove virus from usb drive recently. Normally I would have taken the nuclear option i.e format the USB drive to remove the virus. :) Unfortunately I had the entire source code for my blog ranking project on the pen-drive before it got infected by the virus. That meant I had to show restraint and deal with the issue in a diplomatic manner. :(

Anti-virus software failed to delete virus from USB Drive

Find Virus on USBOne run of the anti-virus software and the virus will be history is what I thought. However removing the virus from the USB drive proved to be a lot more difficult task than I had initially guessed. I was left scratching my head for sometime. Why the hell did the USB drive continue to be infected by the virus?Frustrated I consulted my best friend ….Google. Well I had overlooked a simple concept. The virus had made itself read-only. No wonder the poor anti-virus software was identifying it but failed to remove the virus.

To remove the virus from usb drive you need to

Remove Virus from USB Drive

  1. Go to Start—-Run. Type cmd and hit enter. This will bring up the command prompt.
  2. Type the drive name of the USB drive and hit enter.
  3. In command prompt type attrib -r -a -s -h *.* and press enter. This will remove the Read Only, Archive, System and hidden file attribute from all the files.
  4. Now just delete the files using the command del filename

That’s it. The virus has been removed from the USB drive.


For Further Reading,
Tips

0 comments:

 

Computer Tips & Tricks

Geekyard

Man Behind This Blog

Well i did my B.E(EIE) in Velammal Engineering College in Chennai.Now I am pursuing my M.Tech(Power Electronics & Drives) in SRM university. My character is to make everyone happy.Looking in things in different manner....